Grandma Haxton's Coffee Cake



This particular recipe was one of my favorite cakes growing up. It wasn't often that we visited Grandma Haxton (my Dad's mother), but when we did generally she had this coffee cake on hand. It was one of her "specialties".
I made it back in 2001 and the reason I know that is that my father's cousin provided the recipe and mailed it to me. The first attempt was not successful - the directions were somewhat vague and not being a baker per se, I don't recall it tasting like it did in my youth. So today it's back in the kitchen for a second try. Here's hoping for success!

FOR THE CAKE:
In one large bowl sift together the following ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
In another bowl with a hand held mixer beat together:
  • 1/3 cup softened butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
Using the mixer on low speed, add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients, 1 cup or so at a time. Gradually add in:
  • 1 cup of milk
as you go along. Alternate, adding in the dry ingredients and the 1 cup of milk until well incorporated. Increase the speed and beat for about 2 minutes.
FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 4 tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces
Mix all of the topping ingredients together by pulsing in a food processor until crumbly.

On a greased cookie sheet (I sprayed with Pam spray), pour in the cake batter and sprinkle with the topping mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick to test that indeed the cake is done.
Allow to cool on a rack and then you are ready to serve.

Recipe Notations: I followed the original recipe and went back and made adjustments. The original cooking temperature of 375 degrees was too high. The topping part of the recipe - it said to crumble by hand which I did and the amount of cold butter was not enough.  The result was an uneven top crust. So the posted recipe has the proper adjustments and the end result will be good. This photo reflects the cake without the necessary adjustments.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts