Steakhouse Potato Gratin


If you have ever made a potato gratin at home and it tasted good but you ended up with a watery sauce you are going to want to read and discover how you can make the BEST ever gratin at home. I have finally had a light bulb moment, did some research, and made the best gratin I have ever made in my kitchen yesterday and am over the moon excited to share this with you all.


It's quite possible that my niece's husband who was a chef had given me this secret to making the perfect steakhouse quality potato gratin but somehow my mind did not grasp it. Over the weekend we had a birthday celebration for my sister at a well known steak house chain, Ruth Chris and I ordered their potato gratin. It was really good but it still did not match up to Jared's Christmas Potato dish he makes for the holiday. Since then all I could think of was making a potato gratin at home. Each time I've made one the potatoes seeped their water (as vegetables have lots of it) and I kept thinking that maybe I should par-boil the potatoes for a bit. To be sure I was on the right track I took to the internet to find out just how you do this.


My first instinct was to get a method from Anne Burrell of the Food Network and when that did not yield what I was looking for I had a light bulb moment. Tom Colicchio of Top Chef owns Craft Steak and in one of the seasons contestant Antonia made a potato gratin to go along with the steak she chose for that particular challenge. Then my research switched to Tom and I found his method he uses for a potato gratin in a recipe he submitted to Food and Wine Magazine. Just reading the recipe I knew I would be on the right track so off to the store I went to procure potatoes and some heavy cream.

The key to the success is simmering the potatoes in heavy cream and then reducing the cream. What happens is the potatoes loose their water while simmering in the cream then when you boil and reduce it, the water evaporates. What you end up with is the most delicious steakhouse style potato gratin and it's just incredible. The potatoes are cooked to perfection and you have a dreamy sauce that continues to thicken a little as it cooks but still maintains a creamy texture.

Please note the size I used was an 8 x 8 square baking dish and the recipe is enough for four portions, more if you have little ones. I also want you to know that my husband so loved this, that he ate two very large portions. That being said there is not much left! You can double this recipe and make it in a larger baking dish. Mine was about two layers and really just enough (or so I thought) for the two of us!
  • 2 large russet potatoes (1.29#)
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese - split
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • cooking spray

The potatoes simmer in the cream to perfection!


  1. I used the 1/4 inch blade of my food processor to cut the potatoes after I peeled them. If you don't own a food processor, scrub the potatoes clean, peel them and cut them in 1/4" slices.
  2. Add the sliced potatoes to the heavy cream along with a good pinch of salt and black pepper. I used probably 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
  3. Bring the cream up to a simmer over medium heat and just when it has tiny bubbles around the edges turn the heat down and simmer the potatoes for about 15 minutes.
  4. Have your casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray (helps with clean up) and a large slotted spoon at the ready.
  5. When the potatoes have simmered for the 15 minutes, turn the heat off and using a slotted spoon remove the potatoes to your casserole dish trying not to take too much cream with you. Smooth the potatoes out into a layer. Salt and pepper that layer to taste.
  6. Add in a second layer of the potatoes and repeat with salt and pepper.
  7. Turn your attention back to the cream. Add in the 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and bring the cream up to a boil over medium high heat and keep stirring the whole time. What you want to do is reduce the cream. Boil for about 5-7 minutes stirring constantly.
  8. Pour the cream over the potatoes and add some shredded cheese on top. Cover the dish with foil. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Here's a good visual of how much this made and when dinner was done there wasn't much left! It's that good. It really is that good.


This was my portion which was the perfect amount for me, although I would have loved to over stuff myself I refrained!


I've done this math for this incredible steakhouse potato gratin. I used russet baking potatoes from the bin versus a bag so you may be able to reduce the cost by using what you have in a bag and getting cheese on sale. The whole gratin cost $7.64 to make, feeding four portions for $1.91 each.


Comments

  1. Love these. They are absolutely delicious. My go to for au gratin potatoes. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this looks delicious! I'm curious to know if you use the bagged shredded cheese or do you shred your own cheese for this recipe? Thank you for your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had cut my potatoes to thin (well not quite 1/4) and they are breaking apart while simmering in the heavy cream, does this mean that the recipe isnt going to work in the oven? Do you have alternative cooking times to baking times (both covered & uncovered ? Is it normal or just start over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine where that way also. After finishing in the oven, mine were completely mush

      Delete
  4. I use russets and cut them 1/4 inch and they don't break apart. What potatoes did you use? If you follow the directions to a "T" they should come out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe is amazing. So much creamy cheesy goodness. Better than a steakhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback. So glad you enjoyed the recipe.

      Delete
  6. The first time I made these potatoes I was in Denmark. I love cooking and while visiting friends we went out to eat and the whole family ordered the Danish version of Gratin potatoes. So, I started looking for recipes I could make for them at home. I found your recipe! Since I was cooking for 6 people (3 boys) I doubled it. They were a HUGE hit. Over the last 5 years I have made them numerous times. This is by far the best Gratin recipe you will ever make. I am at my son's in Dallas and will be making them for dinner tonight, along with Braised BBQ Beef Short Ribs. My ONLY suggestion! Double or Triple this recipe, Seriously! Thanks for Sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond thrilled. Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me and the other readers know how much you love this recipe. May 2021 be a great year for you and your family!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you live in Deep River?? I am in New London, CT. Small world!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After I slaved over doing all the steps figuring this would pay off, I hate to say it turned into a big pan of potatoes floating in grease! Don't know how others didn't have the same problem! I can tell what happened. I think the amount of cheese was too much or maybe using prepackaged cheese may of helped. If you melt the cheddar on a piece of foil under a broiler, which is the way i like to eat it sometimes, it melts with the fat sitting around it. So melting it on top of these potatoes the fat just slid to the sides of pan. I don't think I will use this recipe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mora, I think sometimes it's the fat content in the heavy cream or various processed cheeses that have a lot of fat content. I am sorry it didn't work out for you.

      Delete
  9. wow= this recipe was so easy & came out wonderful- and I've tried so many au gratin recipes. Thanks you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I appreciate the feedback. I am pleased you were happy with it. It's my number one popular post! Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic Recipe Just WOW and +1 on the doubling up on this

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I double the recipe, do not I need to double the time as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooking time in the cream due to the increase in potatoes. In the oven you should be able to cook it the same length of time - maybe brown it longer.

      Delete
  12. When I doubled the recipe and got over enthusiastic with my favorite white cheddar, I also found that there was a large amount of oil in the pan. Easy remedy - at the step where you remove the foil, wad up some paper towels and use them in some tongs to blot the excess oil away. I use this trick for many baked dishes that call for cheese and/or cream. Still comes out truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find also if I decide to overdo the cheese and depending on quality of cheese you get a lot of oil from the cheese and the cream. Your solution is great! I am really pleased you like this recipe.

      Delete
  13. This looks amazing and going to make this weekend. Have you ever added a bit of cream cheese to the sauce? Just curious if it would make a difference or not. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not added cream cheese - but make it your own! Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  14. Can this be made ahead? Or does it need to be served immediately after baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Just re-warm in a low oven. Or make it the day before and then bake it when you need it.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. So sorry I have not been on my blog. You can make this ahead - day before. If you bake it ahead then all you have to do is reheat when you are ready.

      Delete
  16. Hi!! So I love this recipe but can you make ahead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...I am not on my blog much of late. Sorry for late response. Yes you can make it the day before.

      Delete
  17. Ok I am going out on a big limb of change. Instead of cheddar, my husband threw me Gouda and a farm cheese that was garlic and chive flavor. They melted down wonderfully. The sauce tastes amazing. I’m just waiting for it to back. This recipe feels so fancy without being hard. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks amazingly delicious. I love steakhouse food and will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll be making this long before (as in tonight) i get a response, but my hubby isn't crazy about Cheddar cheese so i was going to try it with Swiss instead. Also, i'm not sure how much heavy cream i have (i'm miles from town so running to buy some isn't an option) so i thought i'd either make up the pint with 2% milk, or maybe chicken broth? Probably should cut that back just a bit? I will post again to let you know what changes i made and how it turns out, but i'd also like to say i'm sorry for making changes. I really hate it when i read someone's recipe and people comment with the changes they made. If it wasn't for the hubby and being far from town, i'd make it exactly how it's written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try all those things. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. When someone posts about the changes they made, maybe it turns out to be a good alternative and another delicious way. One recipe can have many options/varieties. I get what you’re saying about trying a recipe as shared initially, but I personally like reading other people’s ideas.

      Delete
  20. Completely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely fabulous recipe, I didn't want to drag out the food processor but I have a handy mandolin use it all the time for even slices. The simmering the potatoes is the ticket always for perfect texture every time. Thank you for your great recipes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can this recipe be made in a crockpot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it that way. The key is lightly boiling the potatoes in the cream and reducing it so it is not a watery sauce.

      Delete
  23. could I add sauteed peppers and onion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, make it your own! Just remember that vegetables contain water so factor that into your reduction time with the cream.

      Delete
  24. This sounds like a great recipe. Do you think I could add onion, green and red pepper to give it color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but remember that vegetables contain water so factor that into your reduction time of the cream. You could sauté the vegetables on the side and add them to the layers as you build it.

      Delete
  25. Can you bake these and then keep them warm in a crockpot or will they become oily. Or can you make these in a crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be some oil depending on the cheese you use. I haven't tried to make them in a crockpot yet so you could let me know how it comes out.

      Delete
  26. I think I want to add fresh bacon crumbles. Think I’m going to try your recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great addition to the recipe! I love taking a recipe and adjusting to my tastes!

      Delete
  27. This is a go-to recipe when hosting. Everyone raves about the 'Cheesy potatoes'!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am going to try this recipe today but I will be tweaking it with sliced white onion cooked with the potatoes, and there will also be garlic powder and onion powder added between potato layers

    ReplyDelete
  29. I’m making this on Christmas Eve for my husband, his ex-wife, their 2 kids and significant others and one of their friends who moved here from South Africa. I’m doubling the recipe…I hope there are leftovers 🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is quite a crew to cook for! Enjoy and sorry for the late reply as I haven't been able to blog in quite some time.

      Delete
  30. I’ve been making these for 5 years now and they’re the best I’ve ever had. Perfection. I have to refrain from making them a lot cuz I’ll eat the entire pan my myself, best recipe I’ve ever found online hands down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't blogged in a long time and happy I hopped on to see your wonderful comment! Makes me thrilled to hear how you love them!

      Delete
  31. Hello, this seems to be good. first time I have prepared it really it came out very well and it is so tasty! I appreciate your wonderful recipes.
    https://www.myplazapizza.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think some are overthinking this recipe. These are the best potatoes my wife and I have ever had. I follow your directions exactly. I've even used Yukon golds when I didn't have the russets. I could eat the whole pan myself. Okay I confess I even chopped a little bacon bits and sprinkled on top of the cheese. Sinful I know. 🤫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I LOVE the addition of the naughty bacon!

      Delete
  33. Love these. They are absolutely delicious. My go to for au gratin potatoes. Thanks so much
    Best Vietnamese Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  34. Without a doubt, these are the absolute best au gratin potatoes I’ve ever had! I made these for a crowd yesterday and got rave reviews. I used 5 lbs potatoes and adjusted the other ingredients accordingly. Will be making these again for sure, especially knowing I can put them together a day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the hospital; so forgive the late reply. It pleases me that you enjoy this recipe. They definitely are fit for a small family or for a crowd. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  35. Has anyone ever used Red Potatoes for this recipe? I have an abundance of them at the moment and want to use them for Easter Sunday Dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the hospital; so forgive the late reply. I think you could use red potatoes, however I would adjust the time in the cream as necessary.

      Delete
  36. My meat and potatoes husband asks for these often. So simple to make yet delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the hospital; so forgive the late reply. It pleases me that he enjoys this recipe. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  37. These are the best potatoes and I usually make them for a holiday….and then we try to figure why I don’t make them all of the time. I have used Monterey Jack Cheese instead of cheddar cheese and 2 teaspoons of chopped pickled jalapeño pepper to give them a little kick. Excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the hospital; so forgive the late reply. It pleases me that you enjoy this recipe so much. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  38. These are the best! I used I/2 cheddar and 1/2 smoked cheddar and added crumbled bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm. Sounds delicious. I love when people love this and then put their own spin on the recipe! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts