The Keys To Scrambling Eggs

When I was cooking at an assisted living facility in 2009, I was occasionally asked to be the breakfast and lunch cook rather than the dinner hour cook. I'll admit to you that I am not particularly a morning person, despite all of the years that I worked and had to be in by 8 a.m. So, being the morning chef (cook) meant I needed to have breakfast available to the residents by 7:30 a.m. in case there were any early and hungry risers. Eventually I did not mind it and attempted to do things for breakfast much in the way that I did them at home versus the other cook who was highly skilled at breakfast and the using the flat top grill. I on the other hand found that flat top to be highly daunting and frustrating.
Instead, I adapted my home method. Now that I have decided that tonight's dinner will be a breakfast meal I am going to share with you my method to good, light and fluffy clouds of scrambled eggs. And some good tips for other breakfast components.

  1. Figure 2 eggs per person for a morning breakfast and 3 eggs per person for a dinner meal.
  2. Use a wire whisk or even a hand held mixer to whip the eggs together with the addition of some milk.
  3. Figure about 1 tbsp. of milk for 3 eggs.
  4. Use a glass or plastic bowl or a steel bowl - do not use aluminum.
  5. Obtain a non stick frying pan or skillet large enough to house all of the eggs.
  6. Add in a pat of butter to the pan and swirl the butter around the pan as it melts.
  7. Cook your eggs over a low and gentle heat.
  8. When the eggs begin to bubble around the edges, add some salt and pepper to the egg mixture.
  9. With a wooden or plastic spoon gently scrape the mixture from the outer edge of the pan to the center forming some large soft curds.
  10. Continue until the eggs are just about all cooked and turn the heat off.
  11. Stir again just prior to serving and your eggs should be perfectly cooked - not hard, but soft clouds of scrambled eggs.
Cooking Sausage Links or Patties:
  1. If you are serving a frozen sausage link, cook over medium heat and keep rolling around until the sausage just begins to have a light golden brown color.
  2. Add just a splash or so of water and lid the skillet and cook gently over a low heat until the sausage is cooked through.
  3. In the last minute or so, remove the lid and allow the steam to evaporate and you are ready to serve.
Cooking Bacon:
  1. The easiest way to cook bacon with out all the stove top mess from the bacon grease, use a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
  2. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
  3. Cook the bacon for 20 minutes and then flip over (if necessary) and cook an additional 5-10 minutes longer until you have the desired crispness you desire.

Comments

  1. Patty, thanks very much for stopping by and linking in with Food on friday. I am blown away by all the different breakfast dishes - over 170 now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts