Where Do Cashews Come From?

One of the sites that I have found on Facebook is called Growing Organic and Eating Organic. There is a wealth of information on that site and when I "stumble" upon something that tickles my fancy I want to share it with you.
Until today I actually did not know where cashews came from. They are probably my favorite nut next to the Pecan. Cashews are often used in various cuisines and they can be somewhat pricey. Now I understand why. They are healthy as well so you can indulge in this guilty pleasure once in a while.



The fruit (nut)
The nut is attached to the lower portion of the cashew apple which is conically shaped. The cashew nut (seed) hangs at the bottom of the apple, and is c-shaped.

The cashew seed has within the outside shell the edible kernel or nut. In its raw form the cashew kernel is soft, white and meaty. When roasted it changes color and taste. Salted, it appeals to the palate as the most delicious nut.

Cashew apples and cashew nuts are excellent sources of nutrition. The cashew apple contains five times more vitamin C than an orange and contains more calcium, iron and vitamin B1 than other fruit such as citrus, avocados and bananas.




Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts