Crusted Goat Cheese and Tomato Video Recipe

You never know what famous chef will show up here on Cooking On A Budget. Today an award winning chef and restaurateur, owns the trademark Napa Style and has had his own show, "Entertaining with Michael Chiarello" on the Food Network joins us via video. And no, he did not make a special video just for me and you. (Darn.)

Chef Chiarello does a beautiful recipe with crusted goat cheese on top of luscious garden tomatoes and serves them with a side of herb salad. Leafy herbs fresh from the garden. I actually am in my mind tasting the tangy goat cheese and the fresh tomato and hearing the light crunch of the bread crumbs. Salivating over my keyboard just thinking about it.

His style of cooking is one that I love. Italian roots has him loving sustainable and everything fresh type of food. Michael was taught to use everything available - including day old bread ground into fresh bread crumbs.

I had a thought, well maybe a couple of thoughts about this video which I'll share below. That way you get to watch the video and see if I may have some good suggestions.





I was thinking this could also be done with fresh mozzarella. Also I'm thinking to add some Parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs to kick the flavor up a bit, especially if you are going to replace the goat cheese with mozzarella. The other thing is I think I would freeze the cheese after adding the bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown and then place the cheese on top of the tomatoes and place them on a sheet pan under the broiler so the tomato cooks a bit and the cheese gets nicely melted on top of the tomato. A large tomato sliced in half would give you two very nice portions for a side dish.
The price for the cheeses at my store: this week 4 oz.goat cheese is $3.99. Starting tomorrow, an 8 oz. ball of fresh mozzarella will be $3.99. I believe I just might take advantage of these deals. Obviously 8 ounces of cheese for the same price is the better bargain. It's all up to your individual budget.

Comments

  1. Wow, does this look good! You had me at two words; crusted and goat cheese. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts