Father's Day Lunch

We spent Father's Day with our son and his girlfriend in Massachusetts. As we were talking about where to go for lunch, this was the conversation:

Erick: "What do you feel like eating?"
Us: "Doesn't matter, anything is fine."
Sandy: "Well there's a Bertucci's and Panera Bread where I work."
Erick: "Why don't we take them to TITS."

My mouth dropped open, my eyes widened and I said, "What?" Meanwhile my husband was in the background grinning from ear to ear and his eyes sparkled.

Erick: "No mom it's not what you think. It's a restaurant called Tavern In The Square. We just call it TITS for short."
Me: "Oh, thank God I thought you were going to take me to one of those places." (You figure out what those meant.)

So we did go to Tavern In The Square. It's huge and encompasses the corner and two long sides in downtown Salem. It was packed. They had a huge Father's Day Brunch and at noon were also going to serve off the regular menu - a huge menu. Am I using huge too much here?


You might know by now that I am a huge fan of macaroni and cheese; there's that word again. At any rate I spotted this on the menu: Philly Steak Macaroni and Cheese. Please, Philly Steak and macaroni and cheese, really? Word. I ordered it and when it came out in a small version of a cast iron skillet with it's own cute little oven mitt on the handle...I was so impressed with the presentation and knew I was going to love this odd combo.

I did love it. It was a blend of sauteed mushrooms, a little bit of onion, cellantani pasta, a blend of four cheeses and cream along with some shaved steak throughout and topped with cheddar cheese and a touch of panko bread crumbs. Talk about filling you up quickly. My son dove in and had some as well and there was still quite a bit left that was packed up to go.

My husband and son both had burgers; one had a cowboy burger (with a barbecue sauce) and the other a Mexican burger that was topped with Cheddar Jack cheese. Sandy had Cajun chicken on top of a bunch of leafy green vegetables.

I was surprised with how packed it was that the service or the food wasn't compromised. So if you're ever in downtown Salem, Massachusetts, give Tavern In The Square a go.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts