Grilled Cube Steak



Until yesterday, we never attempted to grill a cube steak. Always either a quick pan fry or as chicken fried, but never, ever on the grill. Earlier in the day I thought I would do chicken fried again and hopefully get a better shot of the food and just do a revised post. A split second thought I wondered if they [cube steaks] could be grilled. As the day progressed and I lost interest in just about everything, my husband suggested why don't we try doing them on a super duper hot grill and he offered to take over the helm of the kitchen and cook the entire meal. Bingo. I'm in.
I knew we had a back up left over should these come out as tough as shoe leather - which was our biggest fear. Much to our surprise and it was a pleasant surprise, these came out perfect and were tender and juicy. For me, I would have preferred a touch more pink in the center, but overall I was very happy with the result.
These are quick and so easy and make a perfect weeknight meal. As long as you have the grill fired up I suggest you grill some vegetables along with it - your choice.
He chose to do red potatoes with butter and parsley tossed in the cooked potatoes and sauteed onion and we would have some melon on the plate along with everything else. The weather was gorgeous and we ended up eating at our small table on the front porch feasting on tender and flavorful cube steak while watching the birds and squirrels come for the seed and cracked corn we set out for them. I swear at one point the sparrows were chirping so loudly and calling all the neighborhood sparrows to come to our yard - there were dozens of them.
  • 4 cube steaks
  • cooking spray
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • granulated garlic to taste
  1. Get your grill really hot and clean the grates well. Then liberally spray the grates with a cooking spray being careful of the flare up.
  2. Season both sides of the cube steak with the spices to your own personal taste.
  3. Set them on the grill and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side, being careful not to overcook them. My husband used a spatula to turn them.
Serve with grilled vegetables and or fruit for a really nice summer meal. You can see by the picture, these were still juicy and as I've said they were tender.


The package of two rather large and two smaller cube steaks was $5.60. If you choose a vegetable like zucchini to grill with some foil pocket grilled potatoes this meal for four people can be made for around $8.29.


Comments

  1. I used your method on my first batch of cube steaks about 1 month ago and enjoyed it enough that I've now saved the recipe to my computer and I'm using it again tonight along with some grilled onion and potatoes- Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful feedback. So happy you are making it again. We just had cube steaks for our dinner this evening!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts