Grilled Swordfish Steaks



What an absolutely beautiful, gorgeous day it is. So with such perfect weather I decided the must have dinner is something on the grill. The two beautiful steaks came from the seafood department of my grocery store and they are thick and meaty. Each steak was about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches thick.

We used hardwood charcoal so the heat was pretty intense and the sear on the outside was darker than I had wanted. Despite that darkness the steak was still moist on the inside. I wanted to keep the grill at about 300 degrees but it wasn't happening. Hardwood lump charcoal provides intense heat and regulating it can be difficult. Next time I think we'll try a mixture of hardwood and regular briquettes.

By the time everything was ready I was so hungry and when I'm hungry I about loose my mind. Therefore I did not take the time with the photograph - I wanted to spruce the plate up with a sprig of the dill and fancy up the background. Forget about it - all I wanted was food.

The way I did this fish was super simple and I got the idea of using mayonnaise many, many years ago from my sister. The fresh herbs blended in makes for a tasty bite.
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (use the good kind)
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • salt and black ground pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tsp. fresh dill - minced
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary - minced
  • cooking spray
Since the mayonnaise mixture made the grill flare up, I am altering the directions so you have a nicely grilled steak without the blackness.
  1. Salt and pepper both sides of the sword fish.
  2. Mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice and herbs together with an extra pinch of salt.
  3. When you get your grill to temperature and clean it off, spray the grates liberally with cooking spray - but watch out for the flare up!
  4. Grill the steak on one side (for this thickness) for about 8 minutes. At that point the steak should flip nicely. Then lightly coat that grilled side with the mayonnaise mixture.
  5. Cook the second side for about 5-6 minutes, or until it flips over easily, and brush that side with the mayonnaise. 
  6. Finish grilling each side with the mayonnaise mixture for about 1 -2 minutes more per side.





Over one and a half pounds, $5.99 per pound and the total cost for them was $12.94.There is enough meat for 3-4 people actually, all depends on the size portion you serve.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts