One Pan Method: Pork Cutlet Parmesan


Cooking for two people can some times be a royal pain. If you cook too much you eat left-overs for days. I decided to take my original pork cutlet Parmesan recipe and adapt it for just the two of us and make it as simple as possible. And simple also meant my laziness would kick in and I wanted to cut the time down.

First of all, instead of using boneless pork chops and slicing them in half and then pounding them down as I did in the recipe below - most likely because that was the least expensive way to go at the time - I purchased one package of thin pork cutlets that were marked down by $1.50 (meaning: use these quick). So the package of 5 cutlets cost $2.47 initially and with the mark down I paid 97¢ for the package. Not bad!!!

I followed the basic recipe below and decided that once I had sauteed the cutlets to golden brown I would remove them to a waiting plate and then wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Then I added in my red sauce, placed the cutlets on top with a generous sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and added shredded mozzarella on top. The lid was placed on top of the skillet and it simmered until the cheese was melted.

We had cheese ravioli's to round out our dinner. Those we got for $1.00 a bag. I had home made sauce already so my entire meal cost under $5.00 for the two of us. That to me spells out the fact that with a little ingenuity and using what you have already you can make a delicious and filling meal for your family.

My original Pork Cutlet Parmesan Recipe that feeds six:
  • 2 1/3 lb. boneless pork chops
  • 1 bag shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or Mozzarella)
  • 2 cups plain bread crumbs
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tbsp. milk
  • 2 tbsp. granulated garlic
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 3 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese - plus extra
  • 1 tbsp. parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • olive oil (or vegetable)
  1. Slice each chop in half lengthwise to make eight portions. Using a meat mallet pound them down to even thickness.
  2. In a deep dish combine the eggs and milk and whisk together.
  3. In another dish combine the bread crumbs and spices and Parmesan Cheese. Mix well.
  4. Dredge the chops in the egg mixture then the bread crumb mixture getting a nice coating on both sides and place on a waiting plate.
  5. Set a large skillet over medium high heat and add in enough oil to coat the pan. Fry each one until golden brown - about 2 minutes per side. Do in two batches and place on a waiting plate.
  6. To an oven proof casserole dish, add some of your tomato sauce on the bottom. Add in a layer of the cutlets. Spoon sauce over each cutlet and then add some grated Parmesan cheese on top.
  7. If doing in two layers add some shredded cheese over the pork and do another layer if need be. Pork, sauce, Parmesan Cheese and end with shredded cheese on top.
  8. Bake in a 400° oven, uncovered for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts