Easy Peach Pastries



Yum
Yesterday when I was making the Chicken Wellingtons, I decided that I should probably use up the second sheet of puff pastry in the box. After looking in the pantry I found a can of peach halves and a tasty, inexpensive dessert was born.

The one thing I will admit right off the bat is that I failed to egg wash the outsides to gives these a more finished look. I was going to use what I had left from egg washing the chicken wellingtons and in my haste in cleaning up I threw the egg wash out! No eggs left so I opted to throw some cinnamon sugar mixture I had on the tops.


I do recommend the egg wash as I think the puff pastry has a more finished look to it. But despite no egg wash, these were really good. They will make a great family dessert or something you can make and bake for dinner guests. Since they are best right out of the oven, you can pop them in while you are eating your dinner and they will be ready just in time for when folks are ready for dessert and coffee.

Did I mention they were not costly? On sale cans of peach halves, one sheet of pastry, the filling of pecans, cinnamon and light brown sugar and one egg cost a paltry $3.10.  The recipe makes six portions.
  • 1 sheet of puff pastry - thawed and rolled to a 14 inch square
  • 1 - 15.25 oz. can peach halves
  • 1 egg + water for egg wash
  • 1/3 cup pecans
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • dusting of flour
  1. In a food processor pulse the pecans until they are fairly small.
  2. In a small bowl mix the nuts with the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
  3. Make an egg wash with one egg and a teaspoon of water. Whisk together until incorporated.
  4. Open your peaches and drain all the liquid. Place the peaches on paper towels to further dry a little bit.
  5. Lightly flour your work surface and roll the thawed dough to a 14 x 14 inch square.
  6. Cut out 6 equal portions.
  7. Place a tablespoon of the nut mixture on a square and place a peach half pit side down on the mixture.
  8. Egg wash the edges and fold up to seal.
  9. Egg wash the whole outside and if you wish sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
  10. Place each one on a parchment lined baking sheet. (The alternative would be use foil but lightly coat with a cooking spray.)
  11. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.

If you want to add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream served along side it would take this already inexpensive and delicious dessert to another level of goodness!




Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts