Restaurant-Style Broccoli and Garlic



I have come to hold myself with high standards in my own kitchen at home. Each time I prepare a dish that I know I want to blog here at Cooking On A Budget, I expect no less than something perfect. The flavor has to be spot on, the method of cooking or technique has to be right and it has to be something that appeals to a wide audience especially those like me who have to budget grocery monies.

My inspiration for this came from the broccoli with garlic I had this past weekend at a steakhouse restaurant. When I decided to tackle a steakhouse dinner at home (yes, I splurged on two beautiful steaks which is allowed once in a while) and made that dynamite Steakhouse Potato Gratin the vegetable I had available was fresh broccoli so the menu was all set.

I needed to think through how to get the broccoli cooked and tasting like what I had over the weekend. What I came up with resulted in a broccoli dish that was brightly colored, cooked to perfection and just so flavorful with the garlic and the broccoli itself was really good. So many times I think we over boil broccoli and loose not only the nutrients but the good flavor it has.

You will not be disappointed with this cooking method and very simple recipe.
  • 1 head broccoli - cut into small  or medium sized florets
  • 1-2 cloves garlic - minced
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • salt to taste
  1. Begin by preparing your broccoli. Remove the heavy stem and leaves and cut the florets.
  2. In a pot large enough to hold the broccoli, fill the pot about half way with water and add in salt to taste. Let this come to a boil.
  3. When the water comes to a boil, carefully drop in your broccoli. Cook for 5 minutes tops. Drain in a colander and set aside. DO NOT RINSE.
  4. Get your garlic prepared.
  5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Turn the heat to medium low and add in the garlic. Stir and permeate the oil with the garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes stirring so the garlic does not burn.
  6. Turn the heat up to medium and add one tablespoon of butter and let it melt.
  7. Add in the broccoli and stir and cook for a few more minutes until it is warmed through.
You should end up with perfectly crisp-tender broccoli that is brightly colored and has a lovely garlic flavor.




Comments

  1. I make my broccoli casserole totally from scratch. I used this recipe to make the broccoli. It was amazing. The family LOVED it. I just cooked it a little longer than 5 min.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was great :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts