Chicken and Strawberry Salad with Blackberry Dressing

Using left-over grilled chicken, fresh strawberries and romaine lettuce with beautiful blackberry dressing ~ eating lighter in the summer and loving it!

My son was visiting us this past weekend and I made one of his summertime favorites Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad on the last day of his visit so he could take some back with him on the train too if he wanted. I bought a large package of the breasts and we decided to grill them all. Left over grilled chicken is fabulous for many make over meals. I've also used it for Grilled Chicken Alfredo - another easy family meal.

The left over grilled chicken was perfect for another light summer meal. I already had the romaine lettuce and some fresh strawberries so I began to think about having this combination for our supper this evening. Then it struck me that I needed an appropriate dressing as well.

The dressing is one that I made many moons ago in my little food to go restaurant in downtown Deep River. I made a minor change to it and added no oil of any kind. I think it's new and improved and am excited to share this with all of you.

But before we get to the recipe, here's a photo collage I made earlier today. I do not have a scanner so I took a picture of some pictures my son Jon took when I opened the store in 2003.

 Now onto this easy and delicious dressing recipe:
  • 1 - 10 oz. jar seedless blackberry fruit (I used Polaner® brand)
  • 4 tbsp. raspberry blush balsamic vinegar (I used Alessa)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. shallot - finely chopped
  • 1 pinch of salt.
  1. Empty the jar of blackberry fruit into a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup. Microwave on high for about 1 1/2 minutes.
  2. Whisk the blackberry fruit really well until it's completely liquefied.
  3. Add in the pinch of salt, the shallots and the raspberry blush balsamic vinegar. Whisk well to combine.
  4. If you want it more tart then add a few drops at a time (of the balsamic vinegar) until you reach a good taste for your palette.
  5. Prepare your favorite salad greens and add in some sliced strawberries and pieces of cooked chicken.
  6. Add some of the dressing and toss or lightly dress each salad. You want a light coating. Eat and enjoy.
  7. The dressing as it sits gels a little, just whisk and it's fine.
  8. Refrigerate any left over and you can microwave for 30 seconds at a time whisking until smooth.
I absolutely am in love with this dressing. It's got a great balance of tangy and sweet and not to mention how well it goes with the greens, the berries and the chicken.

The dressing is compatible with other fruits as well. Melons, raspberries, and blueberries to name a few. This salad is a complete meal - vegetable, fruit, protein. You can make it with any greens you like to. Play around, it's versatile.


I like serving the salad in a large bowl with the dressing on the side. Everyone can scoop their own portions and dress the salad according to what they prefer.


And then comes this delicious dressing drizzled over top to make this a great summertime dinner that everyone will just love.


Bite after fabulous bite you may hear some oohs and ahhs!



For other lighter summertime meals, you may want to take a look at:

Margarita Marinated Shrimp



Filet of Cod Meuniere with Wilted Spinach


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts