Apple Strudel

Pink Lady and Yellow Transparent apples from Kauffman's Fruit & Farm Market led me to thoughts of making strudel.


Disclosure: I am partnering with Kauffman’s Fruit Farm as a blog ambassador. I have received these Kauffman’s Fruit Farm products for free; however, all opinions remain my own.

I searched the one cookbook I felt would lead me to the most traditional strudel recipe. The cookbook I purchased many years ago is called "Good Old Food". It was late in the evening when I remembered I had this cookbook. The recipe was indeed in there with the recipe for the dough. Let me tell you they were talking about how to make the dough and how to stretch it and it was all Greek to me. Then the recipe for the strudel follow and I was so relieved ~ phyllo dough! Okay, there's a market brand of frozen phyllo pastry that won't leave me in a heap crying in the kitchen because my homemade dough isn't thin enough.

I ended up taking a look at several cookbooks and used two different recipes to create what I wanted. Another thing I did was to look up the correct spelling of the dough's name. It can be spelled: Phyllo, Filo or Fillo ~ any of those are appropriate.

To order the box of Pink Lady and Transparent Apples used in this recipe, just follow the link to their website.
  • 1 box phyllo dough (12 sheets used for each strudel)
  • 3 apples - peeled, halved cored and diced (about 3 cups apples)
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 7 tsp. white sugar
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup walnuts - finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • ground nutmeg to taste
  • pinch salt
  1. Take frozen phyllo dough out of the freezer two hours ahead. Be sure when you are working with the dough that you keep it covered with a slightly damp clean cloth at all times.
  2. Prep your apples and place in a bowl with the brown sugar, walnuts, bread crumbs and cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix well and set aside.
  3. Melt your butter.
  4. Place a sheet of phyllo dough on a large piece of parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, brush completely with the butter and sprinkle with some white sugar. Lay another sheet on top and brush with butter. Working quickly, continue until you have all 12 sheets brushed with butter and sprinkle the white sugar on every other layer.
  5. Leave a 1 inch margin at the top and the left and right side of the phyllo dough - add your filling to the top third of the strudel.
  6. Using the parchment paper, roll the strudel up TOWARD you, into a log with the seam side down.
  7. Carefully transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle white sugar on top.
  8. Baked in a preheated 375° oven for about 40-45 minutes until the phyllo is golden and if you pierce with a long knife the apples are cooked.
  9. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Slice and serve.
 Makes 2 strudel. You may have a little extra filling.


To order the box of Pink Lady and Transparent Apples used in this recipe, just follow the link to their website.
And if you would like to connect with them on other social media, click on the links below.
Facebook:
Google
Pinterest:




Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts