Cinnamon Buttermilk Bundt with Pumpkin Glaze

This cinnamon buttermilk bundt batter is similar to donut batter. The good thing is, this is baked and not fried.


What food smells do you love? On the sweet side of the food spectrum I adore the smell of vanilla and cinnamon. While I can't afford expensive vanillas from specialty shops I only purchase pure vanilla extract for use in baking. And cinnamon, well I've always been intoxicated by it. Cinnamon is one of those spices that is interchangeable too between sweet and savory dishes and it always elevates the flavor of whatever you are baking.
My inspiration for this bundt came from my collection of cookbooks from Williams-Sonoma. I have tried several of their savory and sweet recipes and they have proven to me that they are a trustworthy source for tested recipes. This was originally supposed to be a muffin recipe however I decided to try it as a bundt cake instead. Adding the pumpkin glaze was my own take on it. I had a can of pumpkin puree and since fall is rapidly approaching I thought it would be fitting for a dessert at this time of the year.

You know I love simple recipes with no sifting and this is an easy one to put together. It's as easy as the recipe I made for Carrot Nut Muffins, just a little longer baking time.

For the Bundt:
  • 1 stick butter - softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg (large)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour - all purpose
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • cooking spray
  1. Using an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until pale and smooth. Scrap sides of bowl as necessary.
  2. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk well to combine.
  3. Add the dry ingredients - half at a time into the butter sugar mixture with the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until evenly moistened. Scrap sides of bowl as necessary.
  4. Spray your bundt pan with cooking spray. 
  5. Add the batter to the bundt pan and smooth out.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  7. Cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.
For the pumpkin glaze:
  • 3 tbsp. pure pumpkin
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp. milk
  1. In a bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar, cinnamon and milk until fully incorporated.
  2. Next add in the pumpkin puree and mix well.
  3. Spoon over the baked and cooled cake.
Serves: 12-16 slices


Don't expect this to be moist like a cake. It's dryer like a donut and goes really well with coffee or tea. Since the recipe itself doesn't have a lot of sugar, the pumpkin glaze is perfect drizzled over it to add just a little bit more sweetness and that nice pumpkin flavor.


Fall is my favorite season and unfortunately I think it's the shortest season of them all. If you are planning a gathering you can dress up your dessert table by using colored leaves and fall arrangements. I got these fall leaves at the dollar store, but even fresh colored leaves would be beautiful on the table.


PIN:


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts