Almond Joy Cookies

Classic Almond Joy candy bar flavors built into a delicious, buttery cookie.


Recently I spotted this recipe at a linking party and they sounded delicious.  I have provided the link to the recipe I obtained and it's at the bottom of the post. In any event I revised the recipe because I felt the amount of sugar was really way more than necessary to achieve a sweet level and I decided to also cut back  on the amount of chocolate chips. As well, the baking temperature listed kind of scared me so I opted for a lower temperature and slightly longer baking time so the cookies would not burn.
Although these are called Almond Joy Cookies they don't use the candy bar, but rather some of the ingredients found in the candy bar. That in and of itself is very clever so hats off to the creator for this catchy name.

One of the pet peeves I have about baking is recipes that you have to sift. You know already I hate it. So this recipe doesn't require sifting and I love that. The other pet peeve is how they are sometimes written. Instead of saying 1 cup butter just tell me please that I need two sticks. I don't bake as often as some, so I have to double check the butter wrapping to make sure I have "one cup". It's two sticks! Just say that. Also if I told you cups of chocolate chips or coconut would you know how much to buy? Here I simplified all the add ins by just listing the bag and ounces.

The recipe makes a large amount of dough and hence quite a number of cookies. I am lucky enough to have large restaurant baking sheets and fit 20 on each sheet.
  • 2 sticks butter - softened at room temperature
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 - 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
  • 1 - 7 oz. bag sweetened coconut
  • 1 - 6 oz. bag almonds, chopped
  • parchment paper and cooking spray
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Or alternatively, lightly grease your baking sheets with something like Crisco.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk well to combine. Set aside.
  3. Have at the ready the chopped almonds, coconut and chocolate chips.
  4. In your mixer add the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Cream the butter and sugar together until the sugars have broken down are are not so gritty. Then add in the eggs and vanilla and beat well to fully mix, scrap the bowl as necessary.
  5. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until combined, scraping the bowl as necessary.
  6. At the end add in the chips, coconut and almonds and mix until incorporated.
  7. Using a 1 1/2 inch scoop or by tablespoonfuls drop the dough on your baking sheet. Keep them about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart.
  8. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 18 minutes. (When doing multiple sheets, half way through move the bottom sheet to the top rack and vice versa.)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18
Yield: 60 cookies


This batch of cookies cost me $13.78 making each cookie 22¢ each.


I was thinking that these cookies would be great for gift giving. 20 wrapped cookies each takes care of three people on your list! Or, just add them to your cookie jar and snack away.



ORIGINAL RECIPE from Not A Trophy Wife Blog.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts