Cranberry Pinwheels

#FreakyFriday Summer Edition ~ Cranberry Pinwheels are perfect little bites for entertaining and they look so festive!


Welcome to another edition of Freaky Friday. This is my fourth time with the group and I am excited to bring you a super simple recipe that would be a great addition to your holiday appetizers. Just in case you don't know what Freaky Friday is, I'll tell you. It all started with Michaela of An Affair From The Heart. What happens is a group of bloggers get assigned (in secret) another person's blog to pick any recipe and blog it on their own blog. We all post at the same time on a specific day and all of the recipes are linked together. It's been fun getting to know other bloggers, their writing styles and the kind of food they love to eat and blog about.


For this edition, I was assigned The Devilish Dish, whose author is Candi Campbell England (The links are to her blog and to her Facebook page.) Candi is from Oklahoma and this Sooner gal prior to retirement, spent 7 years as manager of a gourmet and kitchen store before retiring in 2010 because of an unfortunate accident. Candi also lets us know that she's been cooking since "I was knee high to a stand mixer". The Devilish Dish is a blend of recipes and gift ideas and since I'm not a crafty person I stuck with a recipe.

What stuck out was this recipe for Cranberry Pinwheels. I fell it love with it because it's kind of a retro sort of recipe that I hope makes a comeback at gatherings. They are pretty, they are delicious and these pinwheels made me think how perfect they'll be at Christmas!
  • 1 pkg. spinach tortillas
  • 1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese - softened
  • 1 - 6 oz. pkg. dried cranberries
  • 8 oz. crumbled feta (explanation below***)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  1. In a medium sized bowl combine all of the above ingredients and mix well.
  2. Spread the mixture evenly between your wraps and roll up jelly style. Nice and tight.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour then cut each one into 12 slices.
*** I have to tell you about the feta cheese. My husband and I are not huge fans of feta so I scoured the internet for possible substitutions for feta. What I found could be substituted for the feta based on texture was either Queso Fresco, Ricotta Salata (Italian version of Feta), Goat Sheep cheese (crumbly version), Queso Blanco or Halloumi which is a milder Greek version. I found the Ricotta Salata in my local store so I went with that. The point is use the feta or pick another similar cheese from the list I gave you if feta isn't your thing either.

The wraps I chose for the recipe are sandwich wraps as I could not find a spinach tortilla in my store. They are really large and come four to a package. I had enough filling for 3 of them. They present nicely on a tray as you can see. These are great for any occasion but I imagine they will be beautiful on your Christmas buffet.



While going through The Devilish Dish blog I also noticed a nice summertime dish, "Strawberries Newport Roulade" which looked really good. I know this is the summer edition and I chose one for Christmas, huh? Well there's always another day to try that one. Plus ~ I chose the pinwheels because I am making appetizers for a surprise party and I am thinking it's the way to go! There's also some nice gift ideas and printable tags on The Devilish Dish blog. You'll have to go and check it out!

The other recipes I've made for our Freaky Friday posts are:
I do hope you visit all the links in our Freaky Friday Summer edition - you never know what delectable appetizer, dessert, side dish or dinner you might find! I want to say a thanks to all of the bloggers who have participated along with me and to Michaela for inviting me once again. It's been a blast.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts