Peach Apricot Sauce



Yesterday proved to be a good creative day in the kitchen. I had been thinking about a new "grilling sauce" for ribs. What I came up with is a delicious basting sauce that is tasty on the ribs and I believe will be fabulous on Chicken. The initial inspiration came about by checking what I had in my pantry and refrigerator. I had a small can of peaches and I had some Apricot preserves so I built the grilling sauce from those two main ingredients. The recipe is a quick and easy one to make in no time. Any left over sauce can be stored in your refrigerator and should last at least 3-4 weeks.




In a small sauce pot over medium low heat add:
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil (you could actually use canola, whatever you have on hand)
  • 1/4 cup (dry measure) minced sweet onion
  • 1 pinch of salt
Cook until the onion has softened and become translucent. Then add in:
  • 1/4 cup (I used dry measure again) Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/3 cup apricot preserves
  • 1 small can (8.5 oz.) peaches - drained of syrup
  • 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Stir all and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you have a hand held blender, blend until fairly smooth. If not use a stand up blender or even a food processor. Cook for 5 more minutes and turn off the heat. You can use the sauce right away or let it sit and cool, then store it in a container. Keep any left over sauce refrigerated in an air tight container.
To avoid cross contamination, put some of the sauce in a small dish for basting and store the rest.

Our initial test of this sauce was on baby back pork ribs:




Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts