Yesterday proved to be a good creative day in the kitchen. I had been thinking about a new "grilling sauce" for ribs. What I came up with is a delicious basting sauce that is tasty on the ribs and I believe will be fabulous on Chicken. The initial inspiration came about by checking what I had in my pantry and refrigerator. I had a small can of peaches and I had some Apricot preserves so I built the grilling sauce from those two main ingredients. The recipe is a quick and easy one to make in no time. Any left over sauce can be stored in your refrigerator and should last at least 3-4 weeks.
In a small sauce pot over medium low heat add:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (you could actually use canola, whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 cup (dry measure) minced sweet onion
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup (I used dry measure again) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 small can (8.5 oz.) peaches - drained of syrup
- 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
To avoid cross contamination, put some of the sauce in a small dish for basting and store the rest.