Using Leftovers: Lentil Soup With Kielbasa

We are all about Cooking On A Budget. When the food budget is low you need to find ways to use your left overs. Case in point - I made the Chicken and Lentil Stew and the 2 cups of uncooked lentils yielded so many lentils! Not complaining mind you because I love lentils and know how healthy they are.
With the left over carrots that were available and some kielbasa we had I decided to throw together a lentil soup. So if you were left with a lot of lentils from the dish, please follow my lead.
I am thinking I was quite creative and savvy in my use of the left overs.
Here is all that I did:
  • Cooked Lentils
  • Cooked Carrots
  • Chicken Broth - 1 3/4 cups
  • Dried Oregano - a few pinches
  • Granulated garlic - about 1/4 tsp. or so
  • Kielbasa - sliced
  1. In a sauce pot add the already cooked lentils and any left over carrots from the Chicken and Lentil Stew .
  2. To that add in the chicken broth, dried oregano and granulated garlic.
  3. Allow this to cook for about 40 minutes or so and then add in your kielbasa as much as you want.
  4. Let this all cook for about 20 minutes or so for the flavors to blend.
Adjust the amount of chicken stock depending on how many lentils you have. Check out the photo to get an idea.

Comments

  1. yum!!! Thursday night is mostly soup night here...all the leftovers in one pot..always different and almost always good...we rarely have left over kielbasa though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine years ago now called it "must go soup" - in other words all the left overs went in one big pot of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I need another excuse to eat more Kielbasa (which we call canbana).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any way to add kielbasa in a meal is a good meal by me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you use your leftovers. Hope you had a nice New Year

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts