Zucchini Au Gratin Video

We only have one row of zucchini squash this year - last year was ridiculous. I had zucchini coming out of my tush! It was grilled zucchini, sauteed zucchini, breaded and fried zucchini. Thought I had tried it [zucchini] a number of ways, but this thought (the video presentation recipe) did not enter my mind and I wish it were my original idea. Looking back I did do one with yellow summer squash and zucchini, but I don't think there were some of the ingredients in this particular dish.
The only exceptions I take to this video is the pronunciation of Au Gratin is not grat but ō-ˈgrä-tən and the other is the lack of seasoning on the zucchini and onions and tomatoes. Despite the salty Parmesan and cheddar cheeses I think some black pepper and a touch of salt is needed in the vegetables.
At any rate, this is a good use of garden zucchini and summer ripened tomatoes. Surely they will be in abundance soon at your local farmer's market and the grocery store price will drop during the warmer months. It's truly and inexpensive dish. The total cost is about $6.64 and should feed 6 people at a cost of $1.10 per serving which I think is terrific.

Here are the ingredients:
  • 6 medium sized zucchini's (I prefer small slim ones myself due to less seeds.)
  • 2 plum tomatoes - chopped (or use one large regular tomato)
  • 1 medium onion - small dice
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves - chopped
Bake in a preheated 375° oven for about 30 minutes.

Comments

  1. Every year I plant too many zucchini. I never learn. This will be a great recipe for when I have zucchini up the ying yang.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts