Buffalo Wings

The mighty chicken wing is the best conduit for all kinds of sauces and makes a great appetizer at any gathering. I present my ultra delicious Buffalo Wings!


Last night I made Buffalo Chicken Wings with my own Hot Wing Sauce® recipe I developed back in 2002. I must tell you that if you do not like super hot, then go light on the cayenne pepper, or leave it out. These are pretty zipped up, but in a good way! The wing sauce is really easy to make and keeps in your refrigerator for a long time.


There was a food salesman that made me his last stop of the day because I was closest to his home and also he always loved to see what I was cooking up for that nights dinner at Deep River Provisions. I was making this Hot Wing Sauce for bottling when he came in. Ed was really curious why my sauce did not separate as he'd told me so many other restaurants sauces separated. We figured the keys were the use of regular olive oil versus butter and that I whisk the daylights out of it. I hope that you enjoy this simple recipe. And if you need a great bleu cheese dressing, just follow the link I have at the bottom of the post.

Let's begin the recipe:

Preheat your oven to 450°
  • 1 1/2 cups Red Hot Sauce (I recommend Franks)           
  • 3/4 cup olive oil (regular olive oil works really well)
  • 1/8 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/3 cup and 1 tbsp. ketchup
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 pinch to an 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 3 heaping tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic

In a bowl you will whisk together all of the ingredients. It is very important to whisk it versus stirring - you get the oil fully incorporated into the sauce, so whisk, whisk, whisk. This makes about 2 1/2 cups.



For the wings:
  • 1 family package of wings - split and wingtip removed
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • granulated garlic
  • onion powder
  • cooking spray
  1. Wash and split the wings up between the drumette and the flat part of the wing, cut off the wing tips and save for making chicken stock. Make sure you really dry the wings well so they will crisp up in the oven. Place the wings in a large bowl.
  2. In a smaller bowl combine the salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder.
  3. Add the spice mixture to the wings giving them a good toss to coat.
  4. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray liberally with cooking spray.
  5. Place the wings on the sheet pan skin side down and bake on 450° for about 5-6 minutes. Then turn the heat down to 400° and bake for 15 minutes.
  6. Pull the pan out of the oven and turn the wings over. Bake for 20 minutes more.
  7. Pull the pan out of the oven and place the wings in a large bowl. Ladle as much or as little sauce as you want over the wings, toss them and put them back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes to bake on the sauce.




Serve with sour cream, ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping and of course celery sticks. Both nights we had a side salad with croutons. For my Home Made Croutons, follow the recipe link. It's a really good, easy recipe. Great for using that left over Italian or French bread or grinder rolls.

HOT WING SAUCE is the registered Trademark of Deep River Provisions.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts