One other nice thing about this recipe is you can add any ingredient you like in place of the ham. For instance left over kielbasa would work or instead of a meat product add in some finely diced zucchini. It's a blank canvas of a recipe that can be played with to suit your own tastes.
- 1 - 20 oz. bag of store bought shredded potatoes - or shred 2 1/2 cups of peeled raw potatoes.*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup ham - small dice
- 1 cup dry measure shredded cheese (cheddar or any cheese you like that melts well)
- 1/2 cup dry measure green bell pepper (or any bell pepper you like) - small dice
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh chives finely minced (or use dried chives if that is what you have on hand)
- 1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- Salt and white or black pepper to taste
|The Finished Frittata|
In a bowl whisk the eggs together with some salt and pepper to taste. Add the diced ham and pepper to the mixture and stir.
Spray a cold deep non stick skillet or fry pan with cooking spray like Pam. Over medium heat add in the oil. Wait about a minute or so for the oil to get hot, then add in the shredded potato with some salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir until the potatoes begin to get some color on them.
Press the potato mixture down into the pan and cook until they begin to crisp up a bit (about 3-4 minutes). Next add in the egg, ham and pepper mixture. Cook on the stove top for about 2 minutes and add the cheese on top, then transfer the skillet to the preheated oven.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until the eggs are firm and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let it rest for about 1-2 minutes before cutting into wedges.
*If you are shredding your own potatoes be sure and cover them with a damp towel so they do not oxidize and turn brown.