In a medium sized sauce pot over medium low heat I added some olive oil (about 1 tbsp.) to the pot and let it come up to almost a smoking point. I had the wings in a plastic bag and added in about 2 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp. table grind black pepper and shook it all up prior to adding the wings to the pan. Keeping a watchful eye, and stirring as the wing tips browned nicely without burning.
To the browning wings, I added in 1 stalk rough chop celery, 2 slender carrots rough chopped and about 1/2 cup of rough diced sweet onion along with 1 whole clove of fresh garlic. After stirring and cooking for a few minutes I added in about 3 - 4 cups water, scraping to get up all of the good bits in the pot. Next, in went a small sprig of fresh rosemary and 2 small fresh sage leaves.
The lid went on the pot and I simmered this for about 1 1/2 hours then removed the lid, adjusted for salt and pepper and kept the lid off so that some of the liquid could evaporate and concentrate the flavor. I reduced the liquid for about 20 minutes. Using a fine strainer I strained all of the liquid into a deep bowl.
Utilizing the same pot, I put in 1 tbsp. each butter and olive oil, added in 3/4 cup small diced onion and 1 cup (approximately) small diced carrot. That cooked for 5 minutes. To that I added in 1 tbsp. Wondra flour to make a roux. Stirred and cooked for a few minutes. I deglazed with the homemade stock over medium heat and the soup began to thicken.
Next, I added in about 1/2 cup finely diced celery using the leaves as well. A pinch more salt and black pepper got added in. This got cooked for a few minutes and I added in bite sized pieces of raw chicken and 1 cup box chicken stock. After cooking for about 30 minutes I tasted it. The celery was overpowering the flavor so it was time for an adjustment.
|Before the Cream got Added.|
So, I put in another 1/2 cup or so of box stock and about 4 oz. heavy cream, and another 1/3 cup small diced carrot and stirred and cooked for another 20 minutes. That seemed to somewhat mellow the flavor. However I was not satisfied. Thinking cap on - so I minced 2 tiny fresh sage leaves and put those in the soup. After simmering on low heat for 20 minutes more the flavors all came together. The celery was not overpowering.
The final product ended up to be REALLY flavorful.
Day two: After the soup was refrigerated overnight it was very thick. However, reheated in the microwave, the soup came back to life and the picture shows the final product. It reheated well and it tastes great.
|The Final Product|
To write this up as an actual recipe is challenging at this point to say the least. I will have to make it a second time for the recipe to come together. My apologies for such a scrappy piece - however it takes time to develop original recipes. In the meantime you could decipher my notes and try some yourself.