Such was the case in my house with just a small amount of chicken. Then spotting some frozen peas in the freezer, a partial box of elbow macaroni and Parmesan cheese and half and half I put this dinner together.
You could also do this with just vegetables by substituting meat for another vegetable you have on hand. It's all about getting a little creative with what you have available.
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni - cooked to box directions
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced cooked chicken (allow to get to room temperature if using left over chicken)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta to the manufacturer's direction and after draining leave in the colander.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta add in the half and half . Over low heat bring the half and half up to almost simmering then add in the Parmesan cheese. Stir or whisk to incorporate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and add in the peas. Again, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes and add in the cooked chicken. Keep on a low heat until the chicken is warmed through.
Voila! That's it. Simple, easy and a good way to get rid of refrigerator items before they become - "what the heck is that?" This recipe would feed 2-3 people.