Creamy Beef Supper


Growing up during the sixties and with only one household income, my mother had to come up with some economical recipes. She taught us the importance of feeding your family first and paying bills second. We always had dinner sitting down at a table. There was no such thing as eating in front of the television.
One of her "economical" meals was simply Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup added to browned ground beef, cooked and blended and served over mashed potatoes.  On the side was frenched green beans.
My father having served in WWII in the Army Corps of Engineers had a name for this dinner as it was similar to what he was served at meal time except they served it over toast.  My mother's version of course was MUCH better. However I cannot post what they termed it in the Army.
I carried on the tradition during the years that I raised two children on my own as I was always cooking on a budget.  To this day my daughter and I love this simple dish. My husband prefers not to eat it. Since he won't be here for supper Jen and I will have one of our favorite meals. This recipe will serve 4-5 people.
Here it is in all its' simplicity:
  • 1 1/4 pound ground chuck beef
  • 2 cans Campbell's® cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 can milk (optional)
  • 1 pkg. frozen frenched green beans - cook to package directions and drain.
  • 4-5 large russet potatoes - peeled, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  1. In a deep frying pan or skillet brown the beef over moderate heat. To the browning beef add in black pepper to taste.
  2. Drain off the fat and add the beef back in the pan. Turn the heat to medium low and add in the can of soup. Stir and incorporate the soup into the beef mixture and simmer for about five to ten minutes. If you want the mixture to be more thin, simply add in a little bit of milk.
  3. Cook your sliced potatoes in salted water. When the potatoes are fork tender, drain and put back on the burner and allow more evaporation of water.  Add in butter or margarine and milk or half and half and some black pepper.  Mash until the potatoes are creamy.
Serve all components separately, or, as we like to do - potatoes topped with the beef mixture and the green beans on the side or mixed right in!

You could also served this over toasted bread instead of potatoes. My total cost came to $8.84, feeding four for $2.21 each or five for $1.76 each.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts