This recipe may seem out of your reach budget wise, but it really isn't. Take into account getting some of the ingredients when they are on sale (especially the shrimp). I took advantage of the sale on broccoli as well. This particular stir fry meal would feed 4-6 people. When I added up the total cost of ingredients, the end result was right around $14.00. If you are feeding 6 people, the cost is $2.33 per person. I checked what the cost would be if I ordered from a local Chinese take out and the average shrimp dish was $10-12.00 per person and generally included only one vegetable. This economical meal is packed with vegetables.
I generally have shrimp shells in the freezer and use the older shells to make my shrimp stock. If you don't have any in your freezer make the shrimp stock from the shells you saved for this meal. Serve with some long grain rice. Use 2 cups of the shrimp stock to make the rice in place of water or chicken broth.
The Main Dish:
- 1 1/4 lbs. shrimp (20-30 ct) - peeled, deveined (save shells for shrimp stock)
- 1 bunch bok choy - (remove some of the darker leafy green) and slice
- 9 crimini mushrooms - sliced (or more if you want)
- 1 medium orange bell pepper - seeds and veins removed and sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper - seeds and veins removed and sliced
- 1 small broccoli crown - heavier stem and tough stems removed and broken apart into florets
- 4 cups shrimp stock
- 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it hotter)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive Oil or canola oil for stir frying.
- After preparing the shrimp place in a glass bowl. Add in the granulated garlic and onion powder and black pepper to taste. Mix well and allow this to "marinate". Store in the refrigerator while prepping the rest of the vegetables and making the shrimp stock.
- When you are ready with the shrimp stock, reserve 2 cups for the rice and 2 cups for the sauce. Add the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar to one cup of stock. Begin stir frying the vegetables in a hot wok that has been drizzled with some olive or canola oil. Season the vegetables with black pepper - do not salt yet - do that at the end to taste. Stir fry the vegetables for about 4-5 minutes and add in the shrimp and stir fry for 4 more minutes and then add in the one cup of stock. Continue cooking until the shrimp are done and you reach the desired tenderness of the vegetables.
- If you want a thicker sauce use the last cup of stock and make a slurry with some cornstarch to thicken. For more sauce and thin, just add in the last cup of stock by itself.
Take your shrimp shells and put them in a sauce pot. Cover with 4 cups water. Add in 2-3 bay leaves and about 1 1/2 tsp. of whole black peppercorns and about 1/2 tsp. of salt. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. At the end strain the stock.
Basic rice recipe:
- 1/4 cup diced onion (yellow or any that you like)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. oil (vegetable, olive oil - whatever you have on hand)
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic