Food, Kids and Food Banks

My youngest son is turning 21 this July. My other son just turned 26 in February and my oldest, my daughter will be 32 this month. I wonder where the time went!
Looking back from a food perspective, my daughter was the least finicky of all three when it came to food. My youngest just discovered Mayonnaise isn't so bad. And I am happy to say that all three are exploring foods they never dreamed they would go near when they were younger.
Heck, I should have bought stock with the makers of Heinz Ketchup, Mott's Applesauce and Nabisco Oreo Cookies and Skippy Peanut Butter. Oh and I can't forget the Nestle Quick powdered chocolate mix or the Kraft Mac and Cheese! Had I done that (purchased stocks) I might be slightly wealthy by now. Those were items I always had on hand when they were youngsters. So when my youngest visited for Mother's Day, I made sure I had all of the items I just listed available.
All kids go on food binges. They like something and it becomes a daily staple they MUST have everyday. Then whammo! Just when you have stocked up the pantry with their "like" item(s), they don't want it anymore! That can be one of the most infuriating things about raising kids.
So what do you do with that huge box of cereal or that conga jar of apple sauce? No one else in the house will eat it and your stuck with it.
Or, are you? If it's new, unopened and well within the expiration date, take it to your local food bank. Believe me, food banks are hurting right now all across America. They will greatly appreciate the contribution and you will feel blessed to have given to those who need it.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts