Stuffed Green Peppers

It's that time that the garden my husband planted is now yielding some home grown green peppers. The obvious dish to make was some stuffed peppers for dinner.
I don't know that I ever make the same stuffing filling again and again as I like to be creative in the kitchen. Yesterday my husband asked if we could tag team in the kitchen and make the stuffed peppers together. Trust me when I say he and I don't always see I to I on food and we are both opinionated when it comes to flavor and tastes, so I thought we would spend more time arguing than cooking! He is highly competitive and often times wants to be the chef du jour, so I allowed him to take the helm and I was his guide and mentor and took on the role of sous chef. The end result was a very good stuffed green pepper and surprisingly enough - NO arguments!


You will need to have your favorite red sauce ready for the topping to the peppers. This recipe yields approximately 10 portions. We served ours with mashed potatoes.
  • 5 green bell peppers - sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed and deveined
  • 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck beef
  • 1/2 roll pork sausage (we used Bob Evans regular)
  • 1 medium sweet onion - finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice (dry measuring cups)
  • 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 tsp. coarse black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
In a large bowl combine all of the above ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon, breaking apart the beef and sausage and to get the ingredients combined. The less you play with the mixture you avoiding over working it and believe it or not, the more tender and juicy the filling will be.

Fill each pepper half with a generous portion of the beef mixture. Place the filled peppers in a roasting pan or glass baking dish. We used our black and white speckled roasting pan that has a lid.

Spoon some of the red sauce on top of the peppers. To the bottom of the pan add in a small amount of water - maybe 1/2 cup or less to keep the peppers from burning.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cook covered for about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.


 ANOTHER BLUE PLATE SPECIAL!



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts