Round Up Pork Dinner

I am calling this dish "Round Up Pork Dinner" because that's exactly what I did. After purchasing some thin pork cutlets to have for a meal this week, I rounded up other components from what I already had on hand.
In addition to what is not in the photo are the ingredients I had for the breading. There was some pork stuffing mix and some panko in the pantry cupboard which I put in a food processor and ground up for the cutlet breading. About 1 cup of crumbs total.
When you are trying to feed your family well on a limited budget, it takes using up the resources you have to make the dinner for very little cost. The package of pork I purchased has 6 very nice thin cutlets. So for us 1-2 each is generally plenty. The whole package was $5.19. That works out to $2.58 per person on new dollars used for this weeks shopping trip. If you have small children, maybe one cutlet each would be enough. The pineapple I got on sale last grocery trip and that was on sale for $2.99.
  • 5 pork cutlets - thin cut
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp. milk
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • olive oil
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup fresh pineapple - bite size pieces (and the rest for slices on the plate)
  • 1/4 tsp. Tumeric
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Carrots - boiled in water till fork tender (or any vegetable you choose)
Here's how I pulled it all together:
  1. I made an egg wash with the 2 eggs and a little bit of milk (about 2 tbsp.) The breading was added into a zip lock bag.
  2. After dredging the cutlets through the egg wash I added them to the bag and shook the bag until all of the pork cutlet had breading on them.
  3. To fry up the cutlets I add to a skillet, 2 tbsp. butter and a drizzling of olive oil. Brought the heat up to medium  medium high heat to melt the butter and the olive oil. When the oils in the pan were hot, the cutlets when in and I sauteed them for about 2 minutes per side until they reached a nice golden brown.
  4. For the rice, I had 1 cup of long grain white rice and used 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 tbsp. butter and 1/4 tsp. Turmeric and 1/8 tsp. pepper and salt. Melt the butter in the sauce pot add in the rice. Stir. Add the spices and the broth and some diced pineapple. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
I served the meal with carrots and slices of fresh pineapple.

These cutlets are large - could be one per person

I liked the addition of the pineapple

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts