Sweet Chili Chicken Wings


Okay, so who wouldn't want to take a bite out these?

I love chicken wings and think perhaps they are the best part of the chicken. In fact if we do a whole roasted chicken I have to one up the rest of my family and "claim" the wings as mine. So, I'm like a little kid who calls "shotgun", what can I say?

What I would change:

Granted these were delicious, but I think I would change the technique in cooking them.The first time around I took the chicken and added the "rub" to the bowl of uncooked chicken and made sure all of the chicken was coated and then baked them off in the oven. While that produced a flavorful and juicy wing, it just did not produce a skin that was as crispy as I like.

With that being said, I think the next time I do them I will put the wings skin side down in a large frying pan that has been preheated over moderately high heat with a touch of butter or olive oil and brown them on the stove top until the skin is crispy.

I would put the wings in a waiting bowl and toss them with the rub. They would then get baked in a waiting 375 degree oven until done.

The recipe is simple:

  • 1 small package chicken wings
  • 2/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. chili powder
  • cooking spray
  • butter or olive oil for searing
In a small bowl combine the brown sugar and chili powder and set aside. This makes more rub than you will need - store the rest in an airtight container for using later on.
Wash your chicken wings under cold water and using a sharp knife separate the the wing and the drummette. Cut off the wing tips and save them in a container and store in the freezer for making homemade chicken stock.
Make sure your wings are DRY. Heat a large frying pan over moderately high heat. Add just a touch of butter or oil to the skillet. Place the chicken in, skin side down and sear until crispy. Do this in batches as necessary and transfer all of the chicken to an awaiting bowl - one that is large enough for all of the chicken pieces.
Add enough of the rub and toss the wings to coat all of the pieces. Place them on a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with a cooking spray.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Turn once during the baking time, so both sides get browned.
Approximately 30-40 minutes.
    


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts