One of my husband's clients gave us an appreciation gift of some garlic herb cream cheese along with other items. That is how this simple supper was inspired. My finding some really inexpensive cheese tortellinis at a job lot store helped to keep this a low budget dinner.
You could also make your own garlic and herb cream cheese - just use the recipe below.
Garlic Herb Cream Cheese Dip
- 1-8 oz. bar cream cheese-room temperature
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried chives
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1 to 2 tbsp. half and half
- Salt to taste
- 8 oz. package cheese tortellini (serves 3-4 people)
- 8 oz. garlic and herb cream cheese spread
- 1/2 cup half and half (or milk)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic - if you are buying a store brand you may want to add this.
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- pinch of salt to taste
- In a sauce pot and over medium low heat add in the garlic and herb cream cheese spread along with the half and half. Keep whisking and stirring until well incorporated.
- Next add in the Parmesan cheese and whisk well to combine.
- In goes the tomato sauce, white pepper and salt to taste along with the additional 1 tsp. of granulated garlic if you choose.
- Cook tortellini according to the package directions.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta.
- Serve with a nice side salad or some sauteed yellow squash and zucchini to round out the meal.
When you shop for the ingredients - check out the least expensive prepared tortellini in your pasta, deli or frozen food sections of your grocery store.