Chicken piccata is chicken breast cutlets, dredged in flour, browned, and served with a sauce of butter, lemon juice, capers, and either chicken stock or white wine (or both). It is an economical dinner - one you would be proud to serve your family and friends.
Remember when you are using wine in a recipe, choose one that you would drink. PLEASE do not buy grocery store wines! I happen to make that rookie mistake early on in my cooking sojourn when I left to venture out on my own, only to regret it after I took the first bite.
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can replace the chicken with some pounded down pork cutlets or use a thin filet of white fish like flounder. If you want more sauce, go with 3/4 cups of chicken stock and reduce. If you do not need as much sauce stay with the 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pound total)
- 1/3 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. caper berries
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut the chicken breast halves horizontally, butter fly them open. If the pieces are still thick after butter flying, pound them with a meat mallet to approximately 1/4-inch thickness.
- Next, mix together the flour, with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge them thoroughly in the flour mixture, until well coated.
- Heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and brown well on each side. Approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you prepare the sauce.
- Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice and the wine. Cook and stir to get up all of the good bits.
- Next, add the chicken broth to the pan. Reduce the sauce by half.
- Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Plate the chicken and serve with the sauce poured over the chicken and lemon slices and fresh chopped parsley for the garnish.