A Visit From My Son

My son Erick and his girlfriend arrived yesterday afternoon. That meant a dinner feast prepared for him and  Sandy. They now live in Salem, Massachusetts and we don't get to see them all that often. I cherish every time they are here.
By the time they arrived we had everything prepared and cooking. Oddly enough we usually end up having a roasted chicken dinner when they come down. Partly due to the fact that it seems to always be on sale and the other part is that Sandy eats mostly vegetables but will eat poultry.
So, the menu was a roasted chicken with stuffing. Mashed potatoes and gravy as well as a cauliflower and broccoli gratin and carrots. Personally carrots are a favorite of mine and go along so nicely with either chicken or turkey as a vegetable. I made an apple crisp for dessert.
I made the cauliflower and broccoli gratin the same way I make my cauliflower gratin.  I use my rotisserie oven often to roast chicken, but this time reverted back to our gas oven as I wanted a greater yield of gravy.
All in all the dinner was delicious, we had a great time having dinner together, chatting and catching up with each other. Erick and Sandy both had seconds on dinner so that made me feel good. After a digestion period they headed out to catch up with my daughter Jen and spend some time with her.
I love family! That includes my sister and her husband, their children and grandchildren and members of my husbands family. Life is short and to be able to gather around a dining table sharing food, good conversation and laughs is tops in my book any day.
The visit from my son was short - just one over night (they headed back up to Massachusetts this morning), but I'll take any amount of time spent with them and cherish it.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts