I cook the Beef Short Ribs like a pot roast in a deep skillet or dutch oven on top of the stove. In the refrigerator I had some celery and onion and carrots; in the freezer some left over pot roast gravy, cupboard held a can of beef broth and I had all the spices I needed. This is a good way to use up your roast beef gravy or pot roast gravy.
- 2 pkgs. Beef Short Ribs
- 1 can beef Broth (I recommend Campbells - but College Inn was on sale so I used that.)
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. Gravy Master
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- Crisco shortening
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Granulated garlic and Onion Powder - to taste
Over moderately high heat, add in about 2 tsp. of Crisco shortening and melt it down. Let the shortening heat up and add in the beef ribs. Brown on all sides. Give them a good "sear" as shown in the photograph.
You will need to do these in one or two batches (depending on the size of the skillet or dutch oven), so have a plate or platter handy to transfer the seared ribs.
When all of the ribs are seared, remove all but about a tablespoon of the accumulated fat and add in the celery, onions and carrots all at once. Reduce the heat to a medium low.