Beef Short Ribs Part Deux

I'll admit after perusing my pantry, freezer and refrigerator and checking the weekly flyer, I was somewhat stumped on what to have for dinner during the week. When I spotted these bad bears, I knew I had to have them. At first I passed them up as I thought they were too expensive. However, nothing else was inexpensive either. And a voice kept nagging - go ahead buy them. With just my husband and myself - we will get two dinners and I only have to cook once!


I cook the Beef Short Ribs like a pot roast in a deep skillet or dutch oven on top of the stove. In the refrigerator I had some celery and onion and carrots; in the freezer some left over pot roast gravy, cupboard held a can of beef broth and I had all the spices I needed. This is a good way to use up your roast beef gravy or pot roast gravy.


  • 2 pkgs. Beef Short Ribs
  • 1 can beef Broth (I recommend Campbells - but College Inn was on sale so I used that.)
  • 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
  • 2 -3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 small onion coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp. Gravy Master
  • 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
  • Crisco shortening
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Granulated garlic and Onion Powder - to taste
Salt and pepper all sides of the short ribs along with the onion powder and granulated garlic.
Over moderately high heat, add in about 2 tsp. of  Crisco shortening and melt it down. Let the shortening heat up and add in the beef ribs. Brown on all sides. Give them a good "sear" as shown in the photograph.


You will need to do these in one or two batches (depending on the size of the skillet or dutch oven), so have a plate or platter handy to transfer the seared ribs.

When all of the ribs are seared, remove all but about a tablespoon of the accumulated fat and add in the celery, onions and carrots all at once. Reduce the heat to a medium low.
As the vegetables begin to soften and release their natural juices, keep stirring and loosen up all of the good bits from the bottom and sides of the pot that occurred during the searing process. Deglaze the pan with some of the water to help this process along. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining water, the Gravy Master and the beef broth to the pot along with your left over gravy (any beef gravy will work). Stir and add in the beef ribs. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until the ribs are really tender. I suggest turning them during cooking so all meaty sides get a chance to absorb the liquid.

When the ribs are fully cooked, remove them to a platter.  Skim off excess fat with a ladle or use a fat separator.  If you want a thicker sauce - more like a gravy, make a slurry of equal parts water and cornstarch. Turn the heat to medium high and bring the liquid up to a boil. Slowly add in the slurry, stirring until you achieve the thickness you desire.
Serve with mashed potato and carrots or any vegetable you like.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts