We had some lovely stripper bass fish (small fillets) in our freezer from a fishing trip my husband went on a while back. They took to this batter like a duck to water.
2 cups white flour
1 cup corn flour
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. finely ground black pepper
3 large eggs
3 tbsp. water
- In one dish or bowl mix all of the dry ingredients along with the
spices. In another dish or bowl, whisk together the eggs and water.
Dip each fillet into the egg mixture allowing the excess egg to drip off, then dredge in the flour and shake off the excess flour.
- Lay the fish on a plate or small sheet pan and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Do not throw the breading mixture away as you may need to
re-coat the fillet after refrigeration as the fish may appear
Next, get your oil ready. Over medium heat, heat the oil to a temperature of 330 degrees using any kitchen thermometer you have.
- At this point if you need to re-dredge the fish in the flour do so.
- Carefully place the fish in the hot oil, frying for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Fry the fish in small batches and remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Keep the fish warm and continue frying until all are done.