- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 11 large eggs)
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/14 cup sugar - sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour - sifted two times
- With a stand or hand held mixer beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt on high speed until foamy.
- Continue beating and slowly add in the sugar (one cup) a little at a time until the egg whites form a stiff peak.
- Gently fold in the vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining sugar and the flour into the beaten egg white mixture until the sugar and flour are combined.
- Pour all of the batter into a 10 inch tube pan.
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the tube pan.
Serve with a mixture of fresh berries and whipped cream.