The holidays are always packed full and it is often hard to get together with everyone all at once so picking a day to do a Holiday Open House seems like the perfect thing to do. Create a very simple and inexpensive menu that includes beverages and some pick up with your fingers type goodies.
Knowing there will probably children involved (and adults love this as well), why not make some homemade hot chocolate and keep in warm in a crock pot? Have some Rediwhip type cream and mini marshmallows to go along side. Here's a basic homemade recipe that can be doubled if you choose.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups of half and half
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate bits
- 1 tbsp. white sugar or sugar to taste
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a sauce pot add the milk and half and half. Over medium low heat bring the mixture up to a bubble.
- Add in the vanilla extract. Whisk this all together.
- Add in the chocolate bits and simmer over medium low heat, whisking until the chocolate bits are melted.
- Transfer to a crock pot and keep the setting on warm.
This is a very welcoming and smelling great beverage to serve your guests. Who doesn't like chocolate?