Not exactly sure which gadget I will use for making pierogies. At some point this week I am going to make some of these for the very first time. My grandmother who was Polish made them when I was a child but back then I wasn't having any part of a pierogi. Now I think they are wonderful - especially after you boil them and then fry them in butter!
Hopefully I can do my grandmother proud. I found this recipe on the internet and it sounded close to what my grandmother made. Stay tuned for photographs and updates.
- 2 1/2 cups of flour (plus extra flour when rolling the dough)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. sour cream (preferably regular)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- Mix all ingredients together, and knead for a few minutes. The dough will not be very smooth, and will be quite sticky. Let the dough stand covered with an inverted bowl for approximately 1/2 hour before using.
- Take either all, or a portion of the dough, and roll it out until it is 1/16" thick. The thickness of the dough is very important. It needs to be thin.
- Use plenty of flour to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin and rolling surface.
- Flip the dough several times as you are working.
- 4 lbs sauerkraut - use can or bagged sauerkraut.
- 2 lb yellow onions - finely chopped
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. caraway seed
Drain the sauerkraut and give it a quick rinse to reduce the tartness. Do not over wash: you want some of the tart flavor in there.
Finely chop the onions. Fry them in butter until they just become translucent.
Add the sauerkraut and sugar. Stir.
Fry the mixture to a golden brown color.
Next, add salt and pepper to taste.
POTATO FILLING: (makes 60-80 pierogi)
- 5 lbs of potatoes (red or Idaho are fine)
- 2 lbs of onions - finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. butter
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, fry the onions in butter until golden brown.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into small cubes and cook until tender.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, completely drain them and mash the potatoes.
- Do not add any liquid to the potatoes.
- Add fried onions, and salt and pepper to taste.