Blueberry Cake With Crumb Topping
Getting a pint of fresh blueberries for $2.99 (usually $4.99) was such a deal that I could not pass this up. If you add maybe five dollars for the other ingredients you have a nice dessert for around $8.00. Home made for around eight dollars and gives your family a great dessert to me is better than spending $5.00 on a box of processed pastry or cake.
I have decided to make blueberry cake with a crumb topping. This will be good at breakfast time, for a lunch snack or a dessert after dinner.
To Make the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In one bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed cream the softened butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add the flour mixture and the milk and vanilla - alternating after each addition.
- Crush 1/2 cup of blueberries and fold into the batter. Fold in the remaining whole blueberries.
- Place the batter in a baking dish that has been liberally coated with shortening or a cooking spray. I used an 11 x 7 x 1.5 inch glass baking dish.
- Spread the batter in the dish as evenly as you can.
- Top with the crumble. (Recipe below)
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 60 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick and if the toothpick comes out clean they are done.
For the crumble:
This makes more than you may need. I like a thick crumble topping on mine. Just make half the recipe if you prefer less topping.
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces