The doughnut rounds are not perfect but that's okay because then you know it's a homemade product.
- 2 tbsp. shortening - melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup flour - plus extra (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl or stand alone mixer, beat the eggs until very light.
- Add in the sugar and mix until foamy. Then add in the melted shortening.
- In another bowl sift together the baking powder, salt, nutmeg and 1 cup of flour.
- Add the sifted ingredients into the wet ingredients alternating with the cup of milk.
- Add more flour as needed to make a soft dough that can be dropped into the hot oil.
- Allow your batter to rest about 10 minutes.
- Using a small scoop drop the dough into the hot oil.
- Fry in deep fat at about 330 to 350 degrees.
- Flip the doughnuts over as necessary,
- Fry them to a nice deep golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack that has been placed over a sheet pan.
|Start of whipping the eggs.|
|Whipped until light and fluffy.|
It's approximately 1 1/2" across.