This is an easy glaze for any kind of ham - whether it's a shank, butt or spiral ham. Hams generally are around 10 pounds and more. That amount of ham feeds a lot of people a good healthy portion. You are probably going to be able to feed 10 or more.
The cost for a 10 1/2 lb. shank ham on sale at $1.39 per pound comes out to $14.83. With a couple of dollars for the glaze, your total cost for 10 people is $1.68 per person. Add 2 sides (starch and vegetable) and it is about $2.03 per person. GOOD BUDGET MEAL - for the holiday or any night of the week.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
For the Ham:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Set your ham on a foil lined baking pan or dish. (This helps with clean up.)
- Make some cross cuts in the fat of the ham if you are using a shank or butt portion.
- Press in some whole cloves if you so desire.
- With a basting brush put some of the glaze on the entire ham - all sides.
- After 1 hour begin basting the ham about every 20 minutes until the ham is done.
- A 10 1/2 pound ham takes a good 2 hours to heat through and allows the glaze to adhere to the ham.
- When your ham is done remove it from the pan to a cutting board and cover with foil.
- Like any other meat let it rest before you cut it.
- Pour any drippings from the pan to an awaiting sauce pot. Add the rest of the basting mixture and heat through over medium heat, stirring until nice and warm. This will make a nice au jus for the ham.