These home made snacks are so much better than the box variety. Simple to make as well. If you are trying to further cut calories use lite or low fat cheeses in the recipe. The Pizza Rolls are baked versus fried in this recipe. However if you choose to fry them do so in an oil like canola or vegetable oil and be sure the frying temperature is 350 degrees.
You could also make these vegetarian by leaving out the pepperoni. Also it could work with some Italian sausage in place of the pepperoni. Be sure to take the sausage out of the casing and crumble it while frying in a saute pan. The sausage must be precooked.
- 4 oz. cream cheese - softened to room temperature (1/2 bar)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (after doing these I would have liked a bit more mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce + additional for dipping.
- 8 slices pepperoni, sliced into eighths or just chop into tiny pieces. (more if you like)
- 30 wonton wrappers
- cooking spray
- olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, and pepperoni. Mix until well incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with a cooking spray.
- Place the wontons onto parchment paper and evenly divide the cheese and pizza sauce mixture into the center of the wontons. Use about 1 tsp. or less per wonton.
- Dip your finger into some water and rub along the edges of the wonton. Carefully fold the wonton in half, making a triangle and make sure the sides are sealed by pressing down on the wonton.
- Lightly brush each one with a bit of olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Turn over half way through if necessary.
A store bought pizza snack costs $5.79 for a box of 40. Making these at home and if you are like me I have sauce available in my freezer or refrigerator you can make these for under $5.00. AND not that you have saved a ton of money but you will get a much better product making it yourself.
And there you have it - home made and lots of flavor. You could also fry these up quickly in oil set to 350°. Would take about a minute or so to fry them up.