If you prefer to use fresh peas that you shell or fresh pearl onions instead of frozen, do so. I chose frozen as they taste good, there is no time in prepping and they are affordable for Cooking on a Budget. Since the creation of this dish using frozen baby peas I have heard many chefs on television touting using these frozen delights so I have absolutely no qualms using them in my recipes.
- 1 one pound bag of frozen baby peas
- 1/2 bag of frozen pearl onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Melt the butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium heat.
- Add in the pearl onions, stir to coat the onions with the butter. Reduce the heat to medium low or low and allow the onions to caramelize. This takes a good 15 minutes or so.
- When the onions are caramelized, add in the peas, stir and add in the chicken broth.
- Cook on simmer with a cover until the peas are tender and the broth has reduced. About 5-6 minutes.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 portions
Total cost for this dish is $4.75 and feeds 6 portions for 79¢ each.
If you would like to pin this recipe: