Cowboy Supper

To get a nice T-bone steak just big enough for the two of us at $7.69 seemed like a bargain to me. So I had a vision, an idea to come up with a "Cowboy Supper". Consisting of steak with a fried egg on top and some big ole seasoned steak fries and thick slices of vine ripe tomatoes on the side.
Alas, someone took a knife to the steak before I could say boo and began slicing it. The photograph concept I had in my mind was totally blown by then, hence this shot:


This is a simple meal anyone can make. Getting your steak at a bargain price is ideal. Eggs are cheap and for the steak fries, one very, very large baking potato was enough for two people. I made a mix of salt, black pepper, paprika, onion powder and granulated garlic to sprinkle on the fries as soon as they came out of the oil.
I fried the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, removed them from the oil to drain on paper towels. When the steak was finished they went back into 350° oil and cooked for a few more minutes until golden brown. After the second fry is when I seasoned them.
For each egg I cracked it in a bowl and added some salt and pepper, then into a non stick frying pan they went.

If you are so inclined to make this very simple supper look for the best bargain on steak. If you go the shoulder cut for London broil be sure and marinate it in your favorite steak marinade or use this recipe:

I call this "London Marinade". This marinade was one of my original sauces from Deep River Provisions® from back in the day.
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups olive oil
  • 1 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup chopped garlic
  • 1 tbsp. ground black pepper
  • 2/3 cups Montreal Seasoning by McCormick®
In a bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Use what you need for your steak and store the rest in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Keeps for about 3 months.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts