Getting two pints of fresh blackberries for $5.00 was such a blessing. Instead of spending money on a processed box cake, make a fresh dessert with ingredients you probably have in your pantry. This moist and delicious cake will be a big hit with your family. I have decided to make black raspberry cake with a crumb topping. This will be good at breakfast time, for a lunch snack or a dessert after dinner. Total cost came out to $8.48. More expensive than the processed cake however it's HOME MADE - no chemicals and there are more servings in this recipe than most boxed cakes. You should be able to get nine or more nice pieces of yummy cake. At $.94 cents a slice this is a great recipe for Cooking On A Budget.
To Make the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups black raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In one bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed cream the softened butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add in the sour cream, then add the flour mixture and the milk and vanilla - alternating after each addition.
- Crush 1/2 cup of blackberries and fold into the batter. Fold in the remaining whole berries.
- Place the batter in a baking dish that has been liberally coated with shortening or a cooking spray. I used an 11 x 7 x 1.5 inch glass baking dish.
- Spread the batter in the dish as evenly as you can.
- Top with the crumble. (Recipe below)
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for about 60 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick and if the toothpick comes out clean they are done.
For the crumble:
This makes more than you may need. I like a thick crumble topping on mine. Just make half the recipe if you prefer less topping.
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces