It's ever so lovely to discover that you have everything on hand to make this risotto. Risotto is the kind of dish that I refer to as "food of love". It takes time to make it, you need to pay attention to it and it should be served immediately.
I've carefully broken down the cost for this side dish and the total cost was $6.98. For four servings it is $1.74 per serving, for six servings $1.16.
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1tsp. olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped or 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 20 oz. vegetable or chicken stock - kept warm
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/3 bag of baby frozen peas
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - finely grated fresh, or use processed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Place your stock in a sauce pot and keep warm over medium low heat.
- Next, heat the butter and oil in a wide skillet over medium heat and add the shallots. Soften until translucent, about five minutes.
- Next, add the rice. Coat well in the butter and saute for a minute. Turn up the heat, add the wine and let it bubble off until it has almost disappeared.
- Add the hot stock a ladle ful1 at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until each ladle has been absorbed before adding another one.
- When all the stock has been incorporated and the rice is cooked through, add the frozen peas and half the Parmesan and the cream.
- Continue to stir for a couple more minutes. Serve immediately with the rest of the Parmesan sprinkled over the top of each dish.