It was challenging to shop for groceries. Some unexpected things came up and I was left with a smaller amount of money than usual to buy groceries, paper and dish washing products. Literally I had forty dollars to work with and whatever I had left in the refrigerator or pantry. Although I perused the store flyer on line as always, there was not a defined or clear game plan as to what I would purchase for dinners.
Many of you may be faced with this challenge week after week and my heart goes out to you. Thankfully I am only shopping for two of us. Did I do it? Was I able to get the non-food items that were necessary and some good food within that budget? I did indeed rise to the challenge and my total after discounts was $38.37.
The menu ends up being:
- Tuna macaroni salad and grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Whole Chicken cut up for barbecued chicken along with the left over macaroni salad.
- Pork cutlet dinner with rice and vegetable or pork cutlet parmigiano with pasta.
- Cube steak dinner with mashed potato and vegetable.
- Egg salad sandwiches on toasted wheat with iceberg lettuce and slices of fresh cantaloupe melon.