Grocery Shopping On Forty Dollars



It was challenging to shop for groceries. Some unexpected things came up and I was left with a smaller amount of money than usual to buy groceries, paper and dish washing products. Literally I had forty dollars to work with and whatever I had left in the refrigerator or pantry. Although I perused the store flyer on line as always, there was not a defined or clear game plan as to what I would purchase for dinners.
Many of you may be faced with this challenge week after week and my heart goes out to you. Thankfully I am only shopping for two of us. Did I do it? Was I able to get the non-food items that were necessary and some good food within that budget? I did indeed rise to the challenge and my total after discounts was $38.37.

The menu ends up being:

  1. Tuna macaroni salad and grilled cheese sandwiches.
  2. Whole Chicken cut up for barbecued chicken along with the left over macaroni salad.
  3. Pork cutlet dinner with rice and vegetable or pork cutlet parmigiano with pasta.
  4. Cube steak dinner with mashed potato and vegetable.
  5. Egg salad sandwiches on toasted wheat with iceberg lettuce and slices of fresh cantaloupe melon.
Nothing fancy, nothing gourmet - but we eat. And, we'll eat well until the next grocery trip when the money is better.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts