Microwave Corn






We had picked up some ears of corn and did our usual which is cut the end of the cob, shuck, remove the silk and cook in salted boiling water for about 15 minutes or so depending on the size of the cobs. It wasn't all that great. Up to now we had been getting some really good, but not local corn to have as one of our vegetables at dinner.

I've never microwaved corn before (except frozen kernels) and when I happened to visit a food site today the author gave a method for microwaving the corn. First tip was to cut off the end. I did that. Second was to place the corn on a damp paper towel and microwave it. I did that.



Third was to let the corn rest for about 2 minutes after microwaving. I did that. The corn was supposed to "easily" slide out with some gentle shaking removing all of the silk and husk.  Did it really work? No, not for me. I tried gentle shaking, pushing and vigorous shaking - no dice.


What happened was I removed the husk and silk by myself with the greatest of ease. Not like shucking and removing silk the normal way prior to cooking. In this experiment I ended up with two beautifully cooked pieces of corn. The corn was from the same batch and this tasted phenomenal. Kid you not. The intense flavor was there. The kernels were cooked perfectly.
Hypothesis: I will never boil corn again and loose all of the good nutrients!



Here are the cooking times for microwaving:

  • 1 ear 2 minutes
  • 2 ears 3-4 minutes (I cooked my two ears the full 4 minutes on high)
  • 3 ears 5-6 minutes
  • 4 ears 7-8 minutes
  • 5 ears 8-9 minutes



Comments

  1. We tried this last year for the first time and you are right, the flavor is amazing. Nice to hear somebody else likes to zap their kernels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts