Peaches with Brown Sugar Oatmeal Streusel


My oh my do I love a good ripe peach. I don't indulge as much as I'd like but I've made myself a promise that when our local orchards have fresh peaches available I plan to take full advantage. A typical streusel is a crumbly topping or filling made from fat, flour, sugar, and often cinnamon.
For this particular dish I've added some oatmeal for texture and fiber. Nuts which are optional are also added for extra flavor and fiber and crunch. Please note that I have a smaller amount of peaches; however I did use all the streusel. Why? Cause it's my show and I can add as much good topping as I want!


This is the dish prior to baking.
  • 6 Peaches - halved and pits removed
  • 1 1/3 cups oats
  • 1/2 stick melted butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts - your choice ( pecans, walnuts, almonds)
  1. Wash your peaches under cold running water and dry them.
  2. Using a sharp knife score the peach around the middle, give a twist and remove the pit.
  3. Place the peaches in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
  4. Add the water to the bottom of the dish.
  5. In a bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, nuts and melted butter with a spoon.
  6. Scoop some of the mixture onto the peaches making sure to fill the cavity.
  7. Bake covered in a preheated 375° oven for 45-60 minutes. Then uncover and bake approximately 10 minutes more so the tops get golden brown.


Some Notes: If fresh peaches are not available, substitute with a good can of peach halves. You won't need to cook them long as the peaches in a can are already fairly soft. Or if you prefer slice the peaches (fresh or canned) and make this as you would apple crisp. Another substitute for this dish would be nectarines.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts