Dry heat is one thing, hot in the 90's and high humidity is another story. My electric bill will soar if this doesn't end. How will you beat the heat? The one thing you don't want to do is light up your oven during this time. Here are some suggestions:
- Use a toaster oven or a rotisserie oven if you have one to roast or bake in.
- Make foil packets of vegetables that will self cook on an outdoor grill so that you don't have to babysit them.
- Use the stove top sparingly - give the veggies you have a saute rather than boil them for 20-30 minutes.
- Use your wok. I have an electric one and I love it. You can combo any protein with veggies and some broth, soy sauce, whatever you like to make a great summer meal.
- If you have to have meat, potatoes and vegetables prep them the night before and place everything in a crock pot to cook while you are out at work.
- Make simple sandwiches and serve with slices of fresh fruit and/or a garden salad. Make egg salad for sandwiches and serve with slices of watermelon. As the season has progressed the flavor of fresh watermelon with it's bright red color, it's juices packed with a sugary taste that only mother nature can produce just melts in your mouth and cools you right down. Add some crisp lettuce and tomato to the sandwich and you really have a well rounded meal. Veggies, fruit and bread - it's a winner. If you have to satisfy a meat craving for your family cook up some bacon and add 1 or 2 slices crumbled on the sandwich.
- Use that waffle iron that has been hiding in your cabinet and be creative with some great waffle recipes. Serve the waffles with a side of breakfast meat and also some fresh berries. Very filling and also a great meal stretcher.
- Make a tuna pasta salad and have that along side of fresh fruit or a garden salad.